Thursday, October 29, 2009

Best Buys


With November just around the corner and a soon-to-open small business that should see plenty of demand as the Christmas holidays approach, I am trying to finish up my Christmas shopping before the seasonal rush begins.

I normally begin this shopping in July and August, when the local bookstores have their annual sales. Little A's wardrobe gets more and more packed with presents until the time comes for them to be wrapped and distributed to boys and girls both naughty and nice.

Needless to say, majority of my presents every year are books. And while some may be unappreciated (and hopefully re-gifted) by those for whom reading is not a huge priority, others are read and enjoyed, some of them time and time again.

For my nephews, nieces and godkids, I get titles I have loved from a young age and still do, books that I think should be on every shelf. A few of these are not often available in local bookstores, so it is always pure luck to find them at my favourite secondhand bookshop. Some of them can be had for a song, and I snap them up eagerly.

I hope this year's recipients enjoy their books. After all, as Carlos Ruiz Zafon said, "Presents are made for the pleasure of who gives them, not for the merits of who receives them."

2 comments:

Peter S. said...

Hi, Lya! Wow! That's a lot of loot! By the way, I hope you can join our book club one of these days.

Stepford Mum said...

Hi Peter! That's just some of the loot - there's plenty more where those came from. I certainly hope to join one of the book discussions soon! The Perfume and P&P ones look good, but it will depend on the dates and times. Hopefully they will coincide with my schedule and I will get to meet you all in person at last :)