Friday, August 4, 2017

Magic Words


All his young life, I have reminded, prompted, and forced Little A over and over again to say, write, or sign please and thank you when appropriate. No matter his challenges, I am determined to bring up my child polite and well mannered as can be, and these "magic words" are just a beginning.

He apologises without prompting quite quickly when he has done or perceives he has done something wrong. But please and thank you are almost always prompted, until quite recently.

A few weeks ago, he must have requested something - a toy, some food, or art materials - and I gave it to him. He typed something on his iPad and showed it to me, while making eye contact and doing the correct sign. The words were "Thank you for munch". As if to make sure I got the message, he quickly found a favourite YouTube video and set it to the point where the speaker was saying "Thank you very much", and played only this line, twice or thrice in a row.

I nearly burst into tears right then and there. That was the first ever time Little A voluntarily thanked me. I hugged him and told him he was most welcome, and that I was so proud of him for being a polite boy and showing me good manners.

A day or so later, the Au Pair reported the same. While Big A and I were out, Little A had thanked her "very munch" as well, and she was thrilled and elated. Until she corroborated my report, Big A didn't really believe this had happened unprompted.

Since then it has become not constant, but quite regular, and not always with written or typed words, but always with definite eye contact and a clear sign. On Little A's making the sign, he expects the person he is thanking to verbalise his gratitude, and then respond verbally.

Thank you, to all the powers that be, for munch. And now, on to please, excuse me, and I beg your pardon. 

No comments: