Monday, May 22, 2017

Onstage Once More


When I hung up my pointe shoes two decades ago, I never thought I would one day find myself back in a "performing" capability, despite my definite return to dance as exercise last year.

Less than a month ago, Little A's school headmaster sent an email to ask if I might consent to dance at the school's fundraising show. How could I refuse? Another mum was a former dancer, and her daughter was Little A's classmate. She and another third grade girl were dancing a simple ballet number, so we opted to join them. We watched a rehearsal and then got together to work ourselves into the dance.

This was not much of a challenge choreographically, and we did want to keep the focus on the little girls, so our "dance" was more of an entrance, some arm waving, a few turns, and an exit. Still, we were thrilled to be back "onstage" and secretly hope it won't be the last time! Most importantly, it was for a very worthy cause, so if we are asked to do it again, I know what my reply will be.

No comments: