Wednesday, March 18, 2015

All That Jazz



Once upon a time, I was a very fit person. These days, walking up the stairs can get me winded. Thank goodness for a very active son who likes to run around shopping malls or I'd get no exercise at all.

This year, though, I noticed the dreaded advent of cellulite and its friends thigh and belly flab. In a bid to be rid of them, I enrolled in a weekly dance class. It helped that a new centre opened just ten minutes from Little A's school, and the class fitted in with my own schedule.

So these days, on Tuesdays at lunchtime, I can be found attending a modern dance/jazz class.

While it's not as fat-burning as I'd hoped, and sadly my brain no longer seems to be able to retain long combinations (not to mention my body being stiff as a board), it is a welcome once a week activity.

My instructor was a professional too, and continues to teach and choreograph so we work on his new ideas in our class before he adapts them for his other students.

When I feel more fit, I may enrol in a second class during the week - pole dancing! I tried this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the workout. More gymnastics than dance, the strength needed to support your own body weight on a vertical pole is upper body and core-centric, both areas I need to work on. Plus, it's lots of fun.

Fitness, then. I may entertain a teeny tiny hope of possibly appearing on stage again (amidst a group of senior citizens rather than the professional dancers to whose ranks I once belonged) but if that doesn't happen, as long as I stay muffin-top free, that's what really matters.

No comments: