Wednesday, November 28, 2012

One Day or Another

According to the Mayan Calendar, the world will end in about 3 weeks' time. If this is so, what are you doing to prepare for it, and do you have anything you wish you'd done differently?

Big A and I have semi-serious discussions about this. He's convinced we can survive an apocalypse, and in our emergency bag, he made sure we have fishing hooks and twine. Never mind that there might not be any fish to catch if the world ends in fire, or ice.

I, on the other hand, have been trying to read as many books as I can. Let the world not end without my having read Saul Bellow! I set an impossible book goal for myself in 2012 - 250 books. Right now, I'm just a little off track, with book 227 finished. Picture books or those with less than 25 pages of text aren't counted, so I can't really cheat and go through Little A's library in a day to make up my numbers.

At any rate, I've read some amazing, and some terrible, books this year. Notables include Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which I must keep in the emergency bag for post-apocalyptic reading, should we in fact survive, and Chris Cleave's fasntastic third book, Gold. Very appropriate, since it deals with British athletes and touches on the London 2012 Olympics.

Back to the world ending though, I know I'd love it if my whole family went together. I can't imagine a world where Little A would have to survive on his own, or without one of us. And I don't want to. Maybe this is terribly selfish, but I'm sure it's a dilemma all parents consider, more so when their children have special needs.

We're still continuing on, of course, school applications for next year being filled up, the work holiday rush in full swing, and Christmas gifts being purchased, wrapped and delivered. Still, I keep on thinking - where will we be in a few weeks' time? I guess we'll soon find out.

 

No comments: