Monday, July 14, 2008

The Trials of Toddlerhood


Ever since he was born, Little A would wake up every 45 minutes to 1 hour during his naptimes to feed. I can't find any information on this on parenting websites. Everyone else's kids just seem to nap in one long stretch from birth. It's frustrating, because we're trying to wean and I have no idea what to do about these mid-nap feedings. A bottle would make the most sense, but I haven't been brave enough to try one yet. While feeding, he strokes my chest and makes sure it's really me there. Sigh. I know I should just bite the bullet and see what happens.

Toddlerhood seems like it will be much more challenging than babyhood, what with toilet training and weaning and disciplining and all the rest of it. I hope I can do a good enough job. Big A is just not around long enough, since he leaves for work before we are awake and often comes home at night when Little A is about to go to sleep. So the burden of responsibility will rest mainly on my shoulders. Already we're having temper tantrums when I pull him away from the swimming pool (he tries to jump in at every possible opportunity) but most of those don't last long, and he does seem to be learning. Now he walks along the pool and just puts his hands in, but still tries to get into the kiddie pool every chance he can get, as he knows that one is where he is allowed to bathe.

Luckily, my son doesn't seem to be a sulker, the way I was as a child. I would go off by myself and sulk for ages. Now though, my temper cools as quickly as it heats up. Little A may get angry with me for disciplining him, but when I put him down he still runs back into my arms, crying. Maybe he understands that stopping him from doing something doesn't mean I love him less, but that I love him more and don't want to see him hurt. At any rate, he doesn't seem to love me any less for it. Let's hope it stays that way.

No comments: